Castleton Utah Real Estate and Travel
Castleton is a ghost town located on the La Sal Mountain Loop Road about 18 miles northeast of Moab in Grand County, Utah. The nearest inhabited town is Castle Valley.
Castleton was a short-lived gold placer mining camp that existed here in the 1860s, but the area was first settled by a prospector named Doby Brown in the late 1870s or early 1880s. By 1882 enough settlers had gathered to establish a post office. In 1888 when a local gold rush began at nearby Miners Basin, Castleton became important as a supply town. It had some buildings such as a general store, hotel, two saloons, and several other businesses. The town reached its peak in 1895, when the population exceeded that of Moab. In fact, when Grand County was organized in 1890, Castleton rivaled with Moab for the chance to be county seat.
The Panic of 1907 closed down Castleton's mines, and soon ranchers were the only residents. By 1910 the businesses were gone, leaving only the post office, and the population had dropped to a few dozen. By 1930 there were only a few residents. A few people stayed in the dead town for decades, but in 1967 the county commission officially vacated Castleton as an occupied town.